Webster's Dictionary* defines charity as:- Benevolent goodwill toward or love of humanity.
- a) Generosity and helpfulness especially toward the needy or suffering; also: aid given to those in need, b) An institution engaged in relief of the poor, c) Public provision for the relief of the needy.
- a) A gift for public benevolent purposes, b) An institution (as a hospital) founded by such gift.
- Linient judgment of others.
Even so, I'd have to say that I find myself regularly practicing #1, #2 (a, b, and, indirectly, c), and #3 in its entirety. #4 is still something that I'm working on...forgive me... But isn't charity more than just "benevolent goodwill"?
In the same way that I dislike the term "hiking" and prefer "a long, meandering walk in the woods with no particular destination in mind", I wonder if I'd take to using the word "charity" if it sounded more like this:
"That's the problem with charity: you have to mean things. You have to mean things to help people. Like the time I volunteered to help out at a soup kitchen...and very nearly made it."
- Will, About a Boy
* Andrew looooves it when people quote from Webster's. Shout out to you, La!

1 comment:
yeah it's not really about charity but about justice; I really dislike the english "white man's burden" pity-attitude that has tarred the word.
Happy and Blessed New Year!
Mimosa
Post a Comment