I'm a self-proclaimed trailer junkie. I love movie trailers. I'll often go to apple.com/trailers just to view the 1-3 minute "amuse-bouches" laid out like bite-sized candies. In movie theaters, I'll forget what movie I paid $10.50 (if I use my over-four-years-old-outdated U of T student card) for after watching a few trailers. I'm also that person who shrieks when you try to fast forward through trailers at the beginning of a rented or at-home DVD.Every once in a while, I'll notice trends in the movies that are being released. For example, right now there are seven new trailers that are based on religious, Biblical, or spiritual themes.
- The Reaping deliniates a modern day visitation of the seven plagues of Egypt.
- The Nativity Story is the narrative of Jesus' birth.
- Driving Lessons is about a "shy, bookish 17-year-old...[and his] unpromising summer vacation...spent attending bible classes, and having driving lessons with his overbearing and overly religious mother".
- Al Franken: God Spoke follows a comedian, documentary style, and "his relentless campaign against George Bush and the Right Wing".
- Conversations With God, based on the book, is about a man who writes down God's messages...and becomes a millionaire.
- Darshan The Embrace, another documentary, hails Amma, a spirtual guide and "Mahatma" who has given her embrace to an estimated over 26 million people worldwide.
- And Jesus Camp, which disturbed me most of all, showing the "revival" in America and its manipulation of children, is being hailed as "an admirably even-handed film" although the imagery makes me doubt it very much.
I'd love to hear people's thoughts on this trend. Am I just oversensitive?

No comments:
Post a Comment